Finding a good auto body shop is a necessity, because your car will eventually need repairs. Perhaps you aren’t worried about this and have decided to take your car to the car dealer for servicing. This may seem like a good idea, but may not be very practical.
Car dealerships are usually very expensive when it comes to auto repairs. This is why it is important to find a shop that is close to your home or business, is affordable, and employs skilled technicians. Of course, finding a shop which is ethical is also very important. You do not want your auto mechanic selling you services you don’t need. Even worse, are the shops which will lie to you about the damage present in your vehicle, simply to get more money from you.
Here are some things that are important to consider when looking for an auto repair shop:
- You should start looking before you actually need to get your car repaired. You don’t want to be in a position where you absolutely need to have your car repaired and have no idea where to get the repairs done. Desperate people sometimes make desperate and very bad decisions simply out of necessity.
- Talk to your friends, neighbors, and co-workers. Chances are they can make some good recommendations or at least warn you which shops you should avoid.
- Call shops and talk to the manager of the shop. Ask about their policies, the experience of the workers, and the cost of their services. While it is important to not choose a shop solely based on price, this is a very important factor.
- Assess how well the shop is run. If the shop seems disorganized, you may want to consider another shop. Likewise, if the shop is excessively busy, you may want to look for another place.
- Evaluate the attitudes of the customers. Are they very angry as they are paying their bills? Are customers complaining about the time they have to wait for repairs?
- Check to see how long the shop has been in business. Good shops will tend to stay around for quite a while.
- Ask about the type of payments the shop excepts. Do they offer loans for extensive repairs? Will they accept personal checks or not?
- Mom and pop shop or chain shop? There are benefits and drawbacks to both. However, mom and pop shops usually take a great deal of pride in their work and value providing their customers with excellent service. You may not experience this is a chain shop. Then again, a chain shop may be able to provide things that a mom and pop shop can not provide, such as a nice waiting room, complementary food, or even a rental car.
- Finally, you may want to take your car to the shop to have a minor maintenance procedure done to assess the experience. For example, you may want to take your vehicle to the shop to have an oil change done. By doing this, you can get some valuable insights as to how the shop will handle other repairs.
As you can see, finding a good auto repair shop is not too difficult. However, it will take some time and effort but will be more than worth it.